Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Reality is leaking . . .

My kids are getting older and I am noticing more and more the onset of small doses of reality setting in for them, and I am really just trying to hold there hand through it. It's all I can do. I do try to save them from as much of the ugliness that is out there as I can, call it sheltered if you want, I don't care. They will eventually lose more and more if their innocence and I will slow that process as much and humanly possible. I am not talking about being dishonest or painting a picture that life is all rainbows and butterflies, but just to let them be children and enjoy this time they have of being simply carefree. If today is anything like it was when I was in school, kids just couldn't wait to grow up and we would do almost anything to look, sound or act like we were adults and in the process make a lot of mistakes. So, watching them deal with certain realities has been sad and amazing. Sad because reality is leaking in and amazing because of how they are handling it. They are so compassionate and sensitive and that is something I am going to continue to cultivate in them anyway I can. I want them to have a high regard for life for themselves and everyone around them in every situation. They may be sheltered if that's what some want to call it, but they won't be ignorant and they won't ignore the realities that very soon will be all too real.

No comments: